for his compassions never fail.
23 They are new every morning;
great is your faithfulness.
24 I say to myself, “The LORD is my portion;
therefore I will wait for him.”
I love new beginnings. A new day, a new month, a new season (except winter), a new school year, a new calendar year all make me feel new. I get the chance to re do, to re plan, to re think things. I'm a great fan of new year's resolutions- not because I think we can't change any other time of the year, but because I love that clean slate feeling that comes from hanging up a new calendar and knowing I have a fresh new set of twelve months. What's done is done. It can't be undone. But, I can start new and fresh for the new year.
This year, I'm tracking all of my goals on SparkPeople- a resource I've used more or less consistently in the past. Even though it is specifically a weight loss/fitness site (which I need), there is a place to track any goals you list. So, I've listed all my goals for the new year on my SparkPeople profile to check up each day and week.
I'm using this verse from Luke 2 to help categorize my goals for the year:
52 And Jesus grew in wisdom and stature, and in favor with God and man.
In wisdom (personal growth):
1. Read 5 classics for the year.
2. Read 5 devotional/doctrinal books for the year.
3. Attend homeschool convention in March.
4. Develop more resources for Teachers Pay Teachers website.
In stature (physical growth):
1. Exercise 5 days a week.
2. Go to bed earlier- by midnight. (I know this may sound late, but I am a night owl and tend to read at night and not go to sleep.)
3. Get up by 8am every morning.
Favor With God (spiritual growth):
1. Read through the Bible twice in the year.
2. Pray daily and regularly using ideas from In Constant Prayer. (This was a great book about praying the hours that I read this past year.)
3. Complete one in depth Bible study.
4. Memorize 4 Bible chapters throughout the year- one per quarter.
Favor With Man (social growth):
1. Blog 5 times a week.
2. Read and respond to blogs 5 times a week.
3. Get together with godly women in real life once a month.